NextGEN for WordPress 2.5 released – Quo vadis?

18Mar08

In this minutes I uploaded Version 0.90 for NextGEN Gallery, it’s a mandatory update if you would like to use it with the upcoming WordPress 2.5 release end of the week. This update didn’t contain major features, it’s only a complete redesign for the new Admin UI.

Sort galleryAs little easter egg I included the sorting option , which is many times requested. Have a look at Gallery -> options -> Sort thumbnails: “Custom order”. When you select this option you will get the new sort option available at “Manage Gallery”. Enjoy it !

With the release of WordPress 2.5 and the “built-in galleries” feature , I need to look if this plugin reached his EOL. Let’s watch the download rates in the next two month…

If nothing curios happened Version 0.9x is the last release which support WordPress 2.1 – 2.3. Due to the fact that I can’t maintain two admin UI’s I will continue the development only for WordPress 2.5.

70 Responses to “NextGEN for WordPress 2.5 released – Quo vadis?”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 Ankl Posted March 18th, 2008 - 22:01

Hello Alex,

thanks for your awesome release!
    I love it! I wish that every programmes is as eager as you are!
    It works pretty well…
    Thanks alot!

2. Gravatar Icon 2 marco Posted March 18th, 2008 - 22:21

If you stop developing ngg i will come over and hit u with a tampax box! seriously! KEEP GOING !

3. Gravatar Icon 3 Christopher Posted March 18th, 2008 - 22:21

Thanks Alex, you have done it again with another great version – I love the sorting option.

I for one think it is nowhere near EOL – please keep up the great work.

I thought admin.php?page=nextgen-gallery still looked a bit strange, and so did a bit of digging – looks much better when dashboard.css is attached ;-) just like the new Dashboard layout!

Superb.

4. Gravatar Icon 4 nang Posted March 18th, 2008 - 22:30

i’m testing the wp 2.5 and the built-in galleries is nothing compared to the power of NextGen!! nothing!!

and if you want to make a much more difference, try now to develop some advance php functions (like: “see text gallery description”; “see slishow”; “list thumbnails”; “browser view”; etc) to a better personal control use by users to put in templates anywhere!!

great work alex!

5. Gravatar Icon 5 throx Posted March 18th, 2008 - 23:57

Good job alex, love the plugin !

6. Gravatar Icon 6 alakhnor Posted March 19th, 2008 - 00:42

the new media feature is good for an occasional and light use, but is nothing compared to a gallery management. ;)

7. Gravatar Icon 7 Kim Posted March 19th, 2008 - 01:56

Thanks for the great plugin and the sorting option…. LOVE IT!!! No other gallery plugin is as easy and functional to use!!

8. Gravatar Icon 8 rayk Posted March 19th, 2008 - 05:50

Tried 0.9 on a test site running 2.5rc1, so far so good! I’m loving the new sorting option, exactly what I wanted!

I doubt people will stop using your plugin when 2.5 goes final, the inbuilt gallery offers very limited functionality.

Great job! Btw you should submit it to be reviewed at Weblog Tools Collection – http://weblogtoolscollection.com/archives/2008/03/18/ajaxed-wordpress-video-plugin-review/ if you haven’t done so already. :D

9. Gravatar Icon 9 maiabee Posted March 19th, 2008 - 12:10

@marco: LOL
    @alex: danke.

10. Gravatar Icon 10 WebMolesto Posted March 19th, 2008 - 12:22

Don’t even think to the EOL of NGG!
    No way, no way. I’m gonna demonstrate in front of your house if you’ll even think about that!

Cheers and keep up with the good work!

11. Gravatar Icon 11 Arit Posted March 19th, 2008 - 13:03

thanks a lot for the plugin!!!!!!
    i used since a couple of weeks (I tried a lot different before) it’s the very best! and please, don’t stop it. (and I promise for each website I use it, I will make a donation, if I finished the paypal account).
    Great work! Great spirit!

12. Gravatar Icon 12 die-andis Posted March 19th, 2008 - 13:26

Hallo Alex,

super Sache die neue Version!!

Könntest du es vielleicht noch so packen (“zippen”) das es über die neue Updatefunktion in WP 2.5 aktualisiert werden kann?

Gruß
    Andreas

13. Gravatar Icon 13 Mr Papa Posted March 19th, 2008 - 15:20

If only I could import my gallery2 images into this… only thing holding me back from switching…

14. Gravatar Icon 14 stefano Posted March 19th, 2008 - 15:32

I second the comment by Nang!
    We need more control over the output of the gallery and the albums

stefano

15. Gravatar Icon 15 Oliver Posted March 19th, 2008 - 16:40

The new gallery function of 2.5 is a joke compared to NGG. I don’t see NGG going anywhere like EOL with that 2.5 feature.

Keep up the absolutely faboulus work!

16. Gravatar Icon 16 Daily Yeah Posted March 19th, 2008 - 20:49

Wonderful job :)

hands down the most used plugin on my site.

17. Gravatar Icon 17 Xavier Posted March 20th, 2008 - 07:57

Good Job.
    This is the awesome plugin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this as well as all of the involved developers!!!!!!!!

18. Gravatar Icon 18 Jason Posted March 20th, 2008 - 12:37

Thanks for the great plugin. The new soring feature is great. I think you need to keep developing ngg because you rock!

19. Gravatar Icon 19 Marc Posted March 20th, 2008 - 13:44

Keep up the good work Alex, nextgen is the best gallery plugin for WordPress. I think wp 2.5 will defenitly NOT change this fact.

Grüße von Das Motorrad Blog! :)

20. Gravatar Icon 20 Marketing en Internet Posted March 20th, 2008 - 17:59

Hi Alex

First time in your blog, I just want to say “Great Job” this is really an amazing plugin. I hope to use it withe the new WordPress 2.5.

Hasta la vista !

21. Gravatar Icon 21 Uwe Posted March 20th, 2008 - 19:06

Hey man,

I really love this plugin and really appreciate your
    efforts for developing and supporting it.
    Please keep up the excellent work.

Viele Grüße
    Uwe

22. Gravatar Icon 22 Markus Posted March 20th, 2008 - 19:32

buna,

foarte bine!
    Gute Arbeit!

mfg

23. Gravatar Icon 23 Adam Hearn Posted March 21st, 2008 - 17:28

Thanks for the 0.90 update. Although sorting isn’t ‘automatic’ it’s well handled nonetheless – thanks for that! I hope this isn’t the end for ngg!

24. Gravatar Icon 24 gogo Posted March 22nd, 2008 - 07:13

You are doing great job! Keep it up Alex!

25. Gravatar Icon 25 Stefan Posted March 23rd, 2008 - 12:04

and thank you very much for the update! The sorting function was just the tool I was looking for!

Happy easter,

Stefan

26. Gravatar Icon 26 Gunthy Posted March 24th, 2008 - 14:52

Hi,

I’ve just implemented NextGen Gallery on my girlfriends’ blog and it’s an amazing package :).

I have just one little remark/question. Using the thickbox, I’d like to make it so that when the image is clicked, the next image in the gallery is shown rather than closing the box itself.

I’ve been looking to do this for the past hour now and it’s mind boggling that I haven’t found it :). If anyone could let me know how to do this or steer me in the right direction, that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

27. Gravatar Icon 27 Pablo DiCiacco Posted March 24th, 2008 - 21:43

Hello, I am enjoying this great plug-in. Thank you. In testing, I have noticed only one minor conflict. When using the “fluency” administration plug-in, most of the gallery-admin options pages get cut of on the left.
    Pablo

28. Gravatar Icon 28 Don West Posted March 24th, 2008 - 21:45

I would be shocked if the built-in galleries of 2.5 come anywhere close to the features of your plugin. Keep up the great work!

You’re a fine programmer AND software designer. Rare combination! :-)

29. Gravatar Icon 29 kajsa Posted March 25th, 2008 - 11:18

Just wanted to say thanks for the great plugin! It’s by far the most useful WP-plugin I’ve come across and I certainly hope it will live to see continued development! Solid work, I hope you find the time to keep it up!

30. Gravatar Icon 30 pcorn54 Posted March 28th, 2008 - 18:50

A small problem with Nextgen 0.91 using WP 2.5rc3.

None of functions work to set up the script. Clicking on any of the options such as style, options, etc brings up a 404 error page not found.

Does anyone have a solution to this. I love the plugin and would hate to have to remove it and use the built in media center in 2.5

31. Gravatar Icon 31 Michael Posted March 29th, 2008 - 04:35

a problem with Nextgen 0.91 using WP 2.5rc3

I insert [gallery=1] when I post an article, but I see nothing after it published.

But it runs normally when WP 2.5rc2

32. Gravatar Icon 32 alex.rabe Posted March 29th, 2008 - 08:11

@Michael, Yes, it’s again broken : Fix is done, will be released tomorrow…

33. Gravatar Icon 33 Michael Posted March 29th, 2008 - 17:03

HI~Can u add the option ‘galleryID’ into the “nggDisplayRandomImages”&”nggDisplayRecentImages”,caz ‘exclude’seemed used rarely here:)

Can u provide a solution?

34. Gravatar Icon 34 ash Posted March 29th, 2008 - 19:01

I’m not getting the sorting to show up.

I’m running wp 2.5 and nextgen 0.91.

When I click on Gallery > Options > Thumbnails, I get Thumbnail Settings with nothing about sorting.

35. Gravatar Icon 35 Andreas Posted March 29th, 2008 - 21:27

Alex, thanks for the fix with the priority=6. Works fine! Great!

36. Gravatar Icon 36 tequilahombre Posted March 29th, 2008 - 22:18

Danke für dieses Easter-Egg…hatte ewig das “Problem” das ich die Bilder nicht vernünftig sortiert bekam, sobald sie unterschiedliche Dateinamen hatten…
    Danke für dieses großartige Plugin

37. Gravatar Icon 37 Sean Posted March 30th, 2008 - 00:33

Help! I updated to WordPress 2.5 and updated NextGen Gallery…now it doesn’t work on my site!

Can someone email me & help me out? Thanks!

.sean duregger

38. Gravatar Icon 38 DoctaJay Posted March 30th, 2008 - 02:20

I just upgraded to WP 2.5 and your latest plugin update and now the nextgen plugin is not working. I’m being hosted on http://www.bluehost.com and below are my server settings:

Server Settings

* Operating System : Linux
    * Server : Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1
    * Memory usage : 16.34 MByte
    * MYSQL Version : 5.0.45-community-log
    * SQL Mode : Not set
    * PHP Version : 5.2.5
    * PHP Safe Mode : Off
    * PHP Allow URL fopen : On
    * PHP Memory Limit : 32M
    * PHP Max Upload Size : 2M
    * PHP Max Post Size : 8M
    * PHP Max Script Execute Time : 30s
    * PHP Exif support : Yes ( V1.4 )
    * PHP IPTC support : Yes
    * PHP XML support : Yes

GD support

* GD Version : bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
    * FreeType Support : Yes
    * FreeType Linkage : with freetype
    * T1Lib Support : No
    * GIF Read Support : Yes
    * GIF Create Support : Yes
    * JPG Support : Yes
    * PNG Support : Yes
    * WBMP Support : Yes
    * XPM Support : Yes
    * XBM Support : Yes
    * JIS-mapped Japanese Font Support : No

39. Gravatar Icon 39 PierreP Posted March 30th, 2008 - 02:37

Works great with priority set to 6

40. Gravatar Icon 40 chingwa Posted March 30th, 2008 - 04:22

where do you change this priority setting? I’m having the same issues as other people here.

41. Gravatar Icon 41 chingwa Posted March 30th, 2008 - 04:27

nevermind, got it…. to all who are confused, change the 2 ’10′s in the highlighted red code to 6 instead….

42. Gravatar Icon 42 zah Posted March 30th, 2008 - 05:06

I still don’t see where to set priority…

43. Gravatar Icon 43 keds2300 Posted March 30th, 2008 - 05:09

i’ve changed the priority to ’6′ and i still get the following error:

Warning: call_user_func_array() [function.call-user-func-array]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback, ‘do_shortcode’ was given in /mnt/w0506/d46/s07/b02cd05e/www/sheldonisaac.com/blog/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 163

what now?

44. Gravatar Icon 44 Mellco Posted March 30th, 2008 - 06:24

Great Plugin!

With 2.5 I can not insert pictures into posts. It just gives me a blank screen after I hit “insert”. I did the “6″ patch, however I do not think that was for this issue. I am sure it will be fixed so not worried.

Keep up the good work Alex!

45. Gravatar Icon 45 marco Posted March 30th, 2008 - 08:15

Just update to wp2.5 today – the now included gallery is a joke compared to ngg. again: alex, keep up the good work m8!

46. Gravatar Icon 46 Florin Posted March 30th, 2008 - 08:45

I’m using WP2.5 with nextgen gallery 0.91, album page doesn’t work. Clicking on the title or on the image doesn’t result in seeing the gallery.

47. Gravatar Icon 47 Jiri Vanek Posted March 30th, 2008 - 10:12

I have a problem with centering of image. In wordpress 2.3 I set this one:

[singlepic=1508,375,400,,]

and picture was on the center of the post. But in wordpress 2.5 this not working.

Can you help me someone ?

PS: sorry for my english :)

48. Gravatar Icon 48 Jiri Vanek Posted March 30th, 2008 - 10:13

sorry, on my last commetn a set p align=center

49. Gravatar Icon 49 Kyle Posted March 30th, 2008 - 17:50

I just updated to WordPress 2.5 and updated NextGen Gallery…now it doesn’t work on my site!

Can someone email me & help me out? This will be greatly appreciated!

50. Gravatar Icon 50 Kyle Posted March 30th, 2008 - 17:51

Where do we change the priority setting to 6?

51. Gravatar Icon 51 Ji?í Van?k Posted March 31st, 2008 - 11:52

To Kayle
    You must edit your nggalery.php. You find it on /wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/

via http://jirivanek.eu/oprava-nefunkcni-nextgen-gallery-ve-wordpress-25 (only in czech language)

52. Gravatar Icon 52 alex.rabe Posted March 31st, 2008 - 13:38

@all

Please update to version 0.92 , the problem should be fixed. For other problems please use the forums. Thanks

53. Gravatar Icon 53 Jiri Vanek Posted March 31st, 2008 - 17:17

My other problem is on centering of image

If I writte [singlepic=1508,375,400,,] it doesnt working. On 2.3 wordpress were everything OK. On WP 2.5 no :(

54. Gravatar Icon 54 Jiri Vanek Posted March 31st, 2008 - 17:18

I thing tag p align=”center”

55. Gravatar Icon 55 pix3lchick Posted April 5th, 2008 - 03:55

Alex, NGG is by far the best gallery management system I’ve came across in awhile. I completely went “Squee!” when I discovered it – it’s usability is superb, and it’s a dish for developers. You’ve done amazing job. Please don’t consider stopping development of NGG.

56. Gravatar Icon 56 paul Posted April 6th, 2008 - 01:35

the flash upload function works fine on one of my website, the other website however(on a different server) shows up in the end ’0 images are succesfully uploaded’ while displaying no error message(it was not uploaded after i check the gallery and actual folder) i am wondering what’s wrong with the permission thing, could you please explain what permission needs to be open to certain folders or on server that is required to use the flash uploader? i am using the latest version of 2.5 and .9 next gallery.

also, i want to know what should i modify if i want a click on an open image in a gallery post (web2.0) to navigate into the next one instead of closing.

57. Gravatar Icon 57 Jamas Posted April 6th, 2008 - 20:59

Wow what a great upgrade!

Jamas

58. Gravatar Icon 58 udomat Posted April 10th, 2008 - 19:23

i like your plugin. with additional add-ons, that really is awesome! really, built in gallery is nothing compared to yours. there is no time to say quo-vadis for this great plugin! keep on working, dude!

59. Gravatar Icon 59 Ankl Posted April 10th, 2008 - 22:03

Hello Alex,

i still have the same problem.
    I can’t use the swfupload function?

After the update to 2.5 this tool doesn’t works.
    You said, that I should check if the tool is enabled.
    But how, i check all option in the gallery backend and so on.

It would be great if you could help me.

Best regards from Germany,
    Ankl

60. Gravatar Icon 60 Dave Posted April 13th, 2008 - 17:20

Hi – I’ve just upgraded to the new version of NextGEN to use with WP 2.5. There seems to be a problem with the slideshow – I get no error messages, and I can see the picture list when I click on the link, but the slideshow shows up as a blank square.

here’s the gallery page: http://davidgarlitz.com/chateau

Any ideas?

61. Gravatar Icon 61 Dave Posted April 13th, 2008 - 18:14

Ah – just to warn others: the plugin is working fine, but I had to delete it from the server and re-install. However, all galleries were saved and are working normally – must have been a bug in the “Auto Update” function of WP 2.5.

62. Gravatar Icon 62 Benoit Posted April 14th, 2008 - 19:00

Hi,

Very nice plugin … except that the admin album page does not work for me : it’s impossible to drag & drop a gallery to an album … do u have an idea ?

NB: i use wp2.5

63. Gravatar Icon 63 Benoit Posted April 15th, 2008 - 09:40

Pb solved ! in fact the auto update does not work very well it seems on wp2.5. I’ve juste removed the old version of NextGen and reinstall it again (v0.93) … and it works fine now !

64. Gravatar Icon 64 Thomas Posted April 19th, 2008 - 10:19

Hallo,

als ich zu WordPress 2.5 aktualisiert und dann ebenfalls die NGG auf 0.92 bzw. 0.93 aktualisiert habe, wurde die Gallerie nicht mehr korrekt angezeigt. Das Problem äußerte sich darin, dass man das angeklickte Bild nicht mehr korrekt schließen konnte. Der Hintergrund blieb abgedunkelt und der Ladebalken lief endlos.
    Kann mir jemand sagen, worin das Problem besteht?

Gruß
    Thomas

65. Gravatar Icon 65 Sinner Posted May 15th, 2008 - 04:49

The gallery isn’t working for some reason. First I tried to upload images in the zip file but it would not do it (gave me an error “HTTP error” and that was it). Then I tried it by uploading the images straight into the gallery folder and telling it to rescan the folder, but it does not do it. It simply tells me to wait, but remains at 0% no matter how long I wait. What can I do?

Who's linking?

1. 1 NextGen Gallery 0.90 fuer Wordpress 2.5 und pclzip.lib.php | marcO's_br4inh4ck Pingback on Mar 19th, 2008
    "[...] mit der Version 0.90 gibt es bei mir weiterhin folgendes Problem mit dem serverseitigem extrahieren der hochgeladenen [...] "
  2. 2 30 Free Resources for Photoblogging and Image Galleries (Wordpress) | Speckyboy - Wordpress and Design Pingback on Mar 20th, 2008
    "[...] 2. NextGen (http://alexrabe.de) [...] "
  3. 3 Creation » Blog Archive » 30 Free Resources for Photoblogging and Image Galleries (Wordpress) Pingback on Mar 22nd, 2008
    "[...] 2. NextGen (http://alexrabe.de) [...] "
  4. 4 Upgrade webu na wordpress 2.5 | [REALLY HARD] - Ji?í Van?k Pingback on Mar 30th, 2008
    "[...] pluginu. Bylo nutné nahrát nejnov?jší verzi NextGen Gallery 9.1, a poté dle tohoto návodu http://alexrabe.de/2008/03/18/nextgen-for-wordpress-25-released-quo-vadis/#comment-6753 upravit skript nggallery.php a to …"
  5. 5 Wordpress 2.5 de sortie | Patoune Media Pingback on Aug 14th, 2008
    "[...] tout c’est bien passé, j’ai eu du fil à retorde avec NextGENGallery qui malgré le fait qu’il était comtatible …"