NextGEN for WordPress 2.5 released – Quo vadis?

In this minutes I uploaded Version 0.90 for NextGEN Gallery, it’s a mandatory update if you would like to use it with the upcoming WordPress 2.5 release end of the week. This update didn’t contain major features, it’s only a complete redesign for the new Admin UI.

Sort galleryAs little easter egg I included the sorting option , which is many times requested. Have a look at Gallery -> options -> Sort thumbnails: “Custom order”. When you select this option you will get the new sort option available at “Manage Gallery”. Enjoy it !

With the release of WordPress 2.5 and the “built-in galleries” feature , I need to look if this plugin reached his EOL. Let’s watch the download rates in the next two month…

If nothing curios happened Version 0.9x is the last release which support WordPress 2.1 – 2.3. Due to the fact that I can’t maintain two admin UI’s I will continue the development only for WordPress 2.5.

Tagged , , , ,

70 thoughts on “NextGEN for WordPress 2.5 released – Quo vadis?

1. Ankl says:

Hello Alex,

thanks for your awesome release!
    I love it! I wish that every programmes is as eager as you are!
    It works pretty well…
    Thanks alot!

2. marco says:

If you stop developing ngg i will come over and hit u with a tampax box! seriously! KEEP GOING !

3. Christopher says:

Thanks Alex, you have done it again with another great version – I love the sorting option.

I for one think it is nowhere near EOL – please keep up the great work.

I thought admin.php?page=nextgen-gallery still looked a bit strange, and so did a bit of digging – looks much better when dashboard.css is attached ;-) just like the new Dashboard layout!

Superb.

4. nang says:

i’m testing the wp 2.5 and the built-in galleries is nothing compared to the power of NextGen!! nothing!!

and if you want to make a much more difference, try now to develop some advance php functions (like: “see text gallery description”; “see slishow”; “list thumbnails”; “browser view”; etc) to a better personal control use by users to put in templates anywhere!!

great work alex!

5. throx says:

Good job alex, love the plugin !

6. alakhnor says:

the new media feature is good for an occasional and light use, but is nothing compared to a gallery management. ;)

7. Kim says:

Thanks for the great plugin and the sorting option…. LOVE IT!!! No other gallery plugin is as easy and functional to use!!

8. rayk says:

Tried 0.9 on a test site running 2.5rc1, so far so good! I’m loving the new sorting option, exactly what I wanted!

I doubt people will stop using your plugin when 2.5 goes final, the inbuilt gallery offers very limited functionality.

Great job! Btw you should submit it to be reviewed at Weblog Tools Collection – http://weblogtoolscollection.com/archives/2008/03/18/ajaxed-wordpress-video-plugin-review/ if you haven’t done so already. :D

9. […] mit der Version 0.90 gibt es bei mir weiterhin folgendes Problem mit dem serverseitigem extrahieren der hochgeladenen […]

10. maiabee says:

@marco: LOL
    @alex: danke.

11. WebMolesto says:

Don’t even think to the EOL of NGG!
    No way, no way. I’m gonna demonstrate in front of your house if you’ll even think about that!

Cheers and keep up with the good work!

12. Arit says:

thanks a lot for the plugin!!!!!!
    i used since a couple of weeks (I tried a lot different before) it’s the very best! and please, don’t stop it. (and I promise for each website I use it, I will make a donation, if I finished the paypal account).
    Great work! Great spirit!

13. die-andis says:

Hallo Alex,

super Sache die neue Version!!

Könntest du es vielleicht noch so packen (“zippen”) das es über die neue Updatefunktion in WP 2.5 aktualisiert werden kann?

Gruß
    Andreas

14. Mr Papa says:

If only I could import my gallery2 images into this… only thing holding me back from switching…

15. stefano says:

I second the comment by Nang!
    We need more control over the output of the gallery and the albums

stefano

16. Oliver says:

The new gallery function of 2.5 is a joke compared to NGG. I don’t see NGG going anywhere like EOL with that 2.5 feature.

Keep up the absolutely faboulus work!

17. Daily Yeah says:

Wonderful job :)

hands down the most used plugin on my site.

18. Xavier says:

Good Job.
    This is the awesome plugin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this as well as all of the involved developers!!!!!!!!

19. Jason says:

Thanks for the great plugin. The new soring feature is great. I think you need to keep developing ngg because you rock!

20. Marc says:

Keep up the good work Alex, nextgen is the best gallery plugin for WordPress. I think wp 2.5 will defenitly NOT change this fact.

Grüße von Das Motorrad Blog! :)

21. Hi Alex

First time in your blog, I just want to say “Great Job” this is really an amazing plugin. I hope to use it withe the new WordPress 2.5.

Hasta la vista !

22. Uwe says:

Hey man,

I really love this plugin and really appreciate your
    efforts for developing and supporting it.
    Please keep up the excellent work.

Viele Grüße
    Uwe

23. Markus says:

buna,

foarte bine!
    Gute Arbeit!

mfg

24. Adam Hearn says:

Thanks for the 0.90 update. Although sorting isn’t ‘automatic’ it’s well handled nonetheless – thanks for that! I hope this isn’t the end for ngg!

25. gogo says:

You are doing great job! Keep it up Alex!

26. Stefan says:

and thank you very much for the update! The sorting function was just the tool I was looking for!

Happy easter,

Stefan

27. Gunthy says:

Hi,

I’ve just implemented NextGen Gallery on my girlfriends’ blog and it’s an amazing package :).

I have just one little remark/question. Using the thickbox, I’d like to make it so that when the image is clicked, the next image in the gallery is shown rather than closing the box itself.

I’ve been looking to do this for the past hour now and it’s mind boggling that I haven’t found it :). If anyone could let me know how to do this or steer me in the right direction, that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

28. Hello, I am enjoying this great plug-in. Thank you. In testing, I have noticed only one minor conflict. When using the “fluency” administration plug-in, most of the gallery-admin options pages get cut of on the left.
    Pablo

29. Don West says:

I would be shocked if the built-in galleries of 2.5 come anywhere close to the features of your plugin. Keep up the great work!

You’re a fine programmer AND software designer. Rare combination! :-)

30. kajsa says:

Just wanted to say thanks for the great plugin! It’s by far the most useful WP-plugin I’ve come across and I certainly hope it will live to see continued development! Solid work, I hope you find the time to keep it up!

31. pcorn54 says:

A small problem with Nextgen 0.91 using WP 2.5rc3.

None of functions work to set up the script. Clicking on any of the options such as style, options, etc brings up a 404 error page not found.

Does anyone have a solution to this. I love the plugin and would hate to have to remove it and use the built in media center in 2.5

32. Michael says:

a problem with Nextgen 0.91 using WP 2.5rc3

I insert [gallery=1] when I post an article, but I see nothing after it published.

But it runs normally when WP 2.5rc2

33. alex.rabe says:

@Michael, Yes, it’s again broken : Fix is done, will be released tomorrow…

34. Michael says:

HI~Can u add the option ‘galleryID’ into the “nggDisplayRandomImages”&”nggDisplayRecentImages”,caz ‘exclude’seemed used rarely here:)

Can u provide a solution?

35. ash says:

I’m not getting the sorting to show up.

I’m running wp 2.5 and nextgen 0.91.

When I click on Gallery > Options > Thumbnails, I get Thumbnail Settings with nothing about sorting.

36. Andreas says:

Alex, thanks for the fix with the priority=6. Works fine! Great!

37. Danke für dieses Easter-Egg…hatte ewig das “Problem” das ich die Bilder nicht vernünftig sortiert bekam, sobald sie unterschiedliche Dateinamen hatten…
    Danke für dieses großartige Plugin

38. Sean says:

Help! I updated to WordPress 2.5 and updated NextGen Gallery…now it doesn’t work on my site!

Can someone email me & help me out? Thanks!

.sean duregger

39. DoctaJay says:

I just upgraded to WP 2.5 and your latest plugin update and now the nextgen plugin is not working. I’m being hosted on http://www.bluehost.com and below are my server settings:

Server Settings

* Operating System : Linux
    * Server : Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1
    * Memory usage : 16.34 MByte
    * MYSQL Version : 5.0.45-community-log
    * SQL Mode : Not set
    * PHP Version : 5.2.5
    * PHP Safe Mode : Off
    * PHP Allow URL fopen : On
    * PHP Memory Limit : 32M
    * PHP Max Upload Size : 2M
    * PHP Max Post Size : 8M
    * PHP Max Script Execute Time : 30s
    * PHP Exif support : Yes ( V1.4 )
    * PHP IPTC support : Yes
    * PHP XML support : Yes

GD support

* GD Version : bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
    * FreeType Support : Yes
    * FreeType Linkage : with freetype
    * T1Lib Support : No
    * GIF Read Support : Yes
    * GIF Create Support : Yes
    * JPG Support : Yes
    * PNG Support : Yes
    * WBMP Support : Yes
    * XPM Support : Yes
    * XBM Support : Yes
    * JIS-mapped Japanese Font Support : No

40. PierreP says:

Works great with priority set to 6

41. chingwa says:

where do you change this priority setting? I’m having the same issues as other people here.

42. chingwa says:

nevermind, got it…. to all who are confused, change the 2 ’10’s in the highlighted red code to 6 instead….

43. zah says:

I still don’t see where to set priority…

44. keds2300 says:

i’ve changed the priority to ‘6’ and i still get the following error:

Warning: call_user_func_array() [function.call-user-func-array]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback, ‘do_shortcode’ was given in /mnt/w0506/d46/s07/b02cd05e/www/sheldonisaac.com/blog/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 163

what now?

45. Mellco says:

Great Plugin!

With 2.5 I can not insert pictures into posts. It just gives me a blank screen after I hit “insert”. I did the “6” patch, however I do not think that was for this issue. I am sure it will be fixed so not worried.

Keep up the good work Alex!

46. marco says:

Just update to wp2.5 today – the now included gallery is a joke compared to ngg. again: alex, keep up the good work m8!

47. Florin says:

I’m using WP2.5 with nextgen gallery 0.91, album page doesn’t work. Clicking on the title or on the image doesn’t result in seeing the gallery.

48. […] pluginu. Bylo nutné nahrát nejnov?jší verzi NextGen Gallery 9.1, a poté dle tohoto návodu http://alexrabe.de/2008/03/18/nextgen-for-wordpress-25-released-quo-vadis/#comment-6753 upravit skript nggallery.php a to takto: […]

49. Jiri Vanek says:

I have a problem with centering of image. In wordpress 2.3 I set this one:

[singlepic=1508,375,400,,]

and picture was on the center of the post. But in wordpress 2.5 this not working.

Can you help me someone ?

PS: sorry for my english :)

50. Jiri Vanek says:

sorry, on my last commetn a set p align=center

51. Kyle says:

I just updated to WordPress 2.5 and updated NextGen Gallery…now it doesn’t work on my site!

Can someone email me & help me out? This will be greatly appreciated!

52. Kyle says:

Where do we change the priority setting to 6?

53. Ji?í Van?k says:

To Kayle
    You must edit your nggalery.php. You find it on /wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/

via http://jirivanek.eu/oprava-nefunkcni-nextgen-gallery-ve-wordpress-25 (only in czech language)

54. alex.rabe says:

@all

Please update to version 0.92 , the problem should be fixed. For other problems please use the forums. Thanks

55. Jiri Vanek says:

My other problem is on centering of image

If I writte [singlepic=1508,375,400,,] it doesnt working. On 2.3 wordpress were everything OK. On WP 2.5 no :(

56. Jiri Vanek says:

I thing tag p align=”center”

57. pix3lchick says:

Alex, NGG is by far the best gallery management system I’ve came across in awhile. I completely went “Squee!” when I discovered it – it’s usability is superb, and it’s a dish for developers. You’ve done amazing job. Please don’t consider stopping development of NGG.

58. paul says:

the flash upload function works fine on one of my website, the other website however(on a different server) shows up in the end ‘0 images are succesfully uploaded’ while displaying no error message(it was not uploaded after i check the gallery and actual folder) i am wondering what’s wrong with the permission thing, could you please explain what permission needs to be open to certain folders or on server that is required to use the flash uploader? i am using the latest version of 2.5 and .9 next gallery.

also, i want to know what should i modify if i want a click on an open image in a gallery post (web2.0) to navigate into the next one instead of closing.

59. Jamas says:

Wow what a great upgrade!

Jamas

60. udomat says:

i like your plugin. with additional add-ons, that really is awesome! really, built in gallery is nothing compared to yours. there is no time to say quo-vadis for this great plugin! keep on working, dude!

61. Ankl says:

Hello Alex,

i still have the same problem.
    I can’t use the swfupload function?

After the update to 2.5 this tool doesn’t works.
    You said, that I should check if the tool is enabled.
    But how, i check all option in the gallery backend and so on.

It would be great if you could help me.

Best regards from Germany,
    Ankl

62. Dave says:

Hi – I’ve just upgraded to the new version of NextGEN to use with WP 2.5. There seems to be a problem with the slideshow – I get no error messages, and I can see the picture list when I click on the link, but the slideshow shows up as a blank square.

here’s the gallery page: http://davidgarlitz.com/chateau

Any ideas?

63. Dave says:

Ah – just to warn others: the plugin is working fine, but I had to delete it from the server and re-install. However, all galleries were saved and are working normally – must have been a bug in the “Auto Update” function of WP 2.5.

64. Benoit says:

Hi,

Very nice plugin … except that the admin album page does not work for me : it’s impossible to drag & drop a gallery to an album … do u have an idea ?

NB: i use wp2.5

65. Benoit says:

Pb solved ! in fact the auto update does not work very well it seems on wp2.5. I’ve juste removed the old version of NextGen and reinstall it again (v0.93) … and it works fine now !

66. Thomas says:

Hallo,

als ich zu WordPress 2.5 aktualisiert und dann ebenfalls die NGG auf 0.92 bzw. 0.93 aktualisiert habe, wurde die Gallerie nicht mehr korrekt angezeigt. Das Problem äußerte sich darin, dass man das angeklickte Bild nicht mehr korrekt schließen konnte. Der Hintergrund blieb abgedunkelt und der Ladebalken lief endlos.
    Kann mir jemand sagen, worin das Problem besteht?

Gruß
    Thomas

67. Sinner says:

The gallery isn’t working for some reason. First I tried to upload images in the zip file but it would not do it (gave me an error “HTTP error” and that was it). Then I tried it by uploading the images straight into the gallery folder and telling it to rescan the folder, but it does not do it. It simply tells me to wait, but remains at 0% no matter how long I wait. What can I do?

68. […] tout c’est bien passé, j’ai eu du fil à retorde avec NextGENGallery qui malgré le fait qu’il était comtatible (version 0.91 pour moi) n’affichait aucune […]

Comments are closed.