NextGEN Gallery V1.00 only for WordPress 2.7

18Oct08

The new Version of NextGEN Gallery is getting close, I finished up the last changes and will now polish up the final code. Yesterday WordPress announce the feature freeze and Admin Redesign for WordPress 2.7.

It’s a nice Admin Interface and I need to change again my own UI, so that it fit with this redesign. Therefore I decided to release the next version only in combination with WordPress 2.7. It makes no sense t keep backward compatibilities : If you didn’t want to upgrade to WordPress 2.7 , why should you upgrade then my plugins ?

45 Responses to “NextGEN Gallery V1.00 only for WordPress 2.7”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 Saeb M. Posted October 18th, 2008 - 14:03

Waiting for it Alex :D
    Thanks for the news.

2. Gravatar Icon 2 Barba-Rossa Posted October 18th, 2008 - 16:27

Thanks.

I’m waiting too :o)

It’s good to keep not compatibilities with older version

3. Gravatar Icon 3 v3rona Posted October 18th, 2008 - 18:55

Great news Alex.
    Cant wait to experience!!

4. Gravatar Icon 4 The_cobra666 Posted October 19th, 2008 - 14:17

Is keeping fingers crossed for subalbum support :D

5. Gravatar Icon 5 countzeero Posted October 19th, 2008 - 14:17

thats great news, I am currently running 2.7-almost-beta and it is starting to rock, look forward to the release of NGG v1.00 and WP2.7

6. Gravatar Icon 6 Trevor Posted October 19th, 2008 - 17:11

Hi there Alex,

Alright….lemme first to tell you that your plugin sounds great…that’s right I haven’t tried it out :( because I get a particular error even I’m not sure about…so I was just wondering if you could please please help me out!

Thanks!
    Trevor

7. Gravatar Icon 7 Geren Posted October 19th, 2008 - 17:18

Well, I’m a little unhappy to hear that you will not support the 2.6.x branch with 1.0 of NextGEN, as WP 2.7 WILL BREAK many other plug-ins and themes, and it will take some time for many people to catch up. While I understand fully the programming challenges involved in supporting the two branches, I believe that kissing 2.6.x goodbye is a little premature.

But, that’s my opinion. Otherwise, I’m very thankful for an easy to use gallery system that most of the users on my site can understand.

That said … there are a couple of things that I’d like to see in future versions, if possible. I use NextGEN as part of a photo club web site, and we allow for each paid member to have gallery space. Presently, the member has to remember to find their gallery in the (growing) list of galleries. It would be really great if each gallery could be tied to a user name, so that when a site member logs in, their uploads are automatically defaulted to their assigned gallery. Members could also be allowed access to group galleries.

Also, like The_cobra66, I’d like to see sub-album support.

All-in-all, though, NextGEN is a really nice piece of code. I’m certain that you’ll continue to develop it into what will be the premier gallery plugin in for WordPress.

8. Gravatar Icon 8 enrico Posted October 20th, 2008 - 12:43

ok but the FIX for FLASH UPLOAD ? will be released also for older version of wordpress right ?

9. Gravatar Icon 9 cnb Posted October 21st, 2008 - 02:41

hi,Alex
    thanks very much.
    your plugin always the must-have on my wp list.

ps.please do the v1.00 works with highslide by default.

10. Gravatar Icon 10 Antonio Posted October 21st, 2008 - 21:26

Can’t wait!

11. Gravatar Icon 11 Geren Posted October 22nd, 2008 - 14:26

enrico: grab the latest version (0.99.1). It fixed the Flash uploader on both of my sites.

12. Gravatar Icon 12 Litkei Béla Posted October 22nd, 2008 - 15:31

Hello.
    The admin announces this on a surface the program!

NextGEN Gallery : Tables could not created, please check your database settings

Would you be able to help it?
    I say thank you for it
    Béla

13. Gravatar Icon 13 bjarne Posted October 23rd, 2008 - 00:22

and Flickr Support..?

Please:)

14. Gravatar Icon 14 redbear Posted October 23rd, 2008 - 04:45

great news. hoping that v1 will have subalbum support. IMO, that is a much needed feature …. thanks for all your hard work on this.

15. Gravatar Icon 15 Martin Posted October 23rd, 2008 - 12:38

Good to see the new version of nextgen will be for 2.7 only, I don’t think anyone should be using a outdated version of WP in the first place.

16. Gravatar Icon 16 Dragos Grijincu Posted October 25th, 2008 - 12:59

Great news Alex!

17. Gravatar Icon 17 Luis Posted October 25th, 2008 - 14:35

Hi. Will this version have Picasa support?

18. Gravatar Icon 18 Hein Posted October 25th, 2008 - 20:45

No problem, can wait for wordpress 2.7 if it saves you having to change and maintain two versions

19. Gravatar Icon 19 veresh Posted October 26th, 2008 - 16:53

Great news i am eagerly awaiting , i will wait for wordpress 2.7 though ….

20. Gravatar Icon 20 Thomas Posted October 26th, 2008 - 23:24

Hi,

I first wanted to thank u for this great plugin I really like it. But I stumpled upon a small disadvantage (I am too lazy to sign up in wordpress forums for just this one point)

But when I add a lot of picture via FTP upload to my existing gallerie and try to rescan for new pic/create thumbs I get a script time limit exeeded… ok u can argue my hoster sucks… but hitting reload will start from the beginning, even if some thumbs where successfully created. This is because your gallerie compares new pics pics in database. Sadly the new thumbs are written to DB after all of them are created (which wont happen when the script aborts).

I think it could be an improvement to add the new thumbs one by one directly after they were created to the database. so even with time limit I could hit the refresh button and slowly but steady my new thumbs would be added to the thumb picture list (because they would now be recognized by the array_diff() in your code).

Do u think its managable? would be great… =)

greetings and keep up the work!

21. Gravatar Icon 21 sweeboo Posted October 28th, 2008 - 00:07

great, the best plugin I’ve ever used so far to build a gallery on top of wordpress.

If I may, it would be nice if NextGEN Gallery could support “Remote Upload” feature. It should be quite useful for people with slow connection.

regards

22. Gravatar Icon 22 Eleora Posted October 28th, 2008 - 18:56

Looking forward to it! Finding this the best of the gallery plugins that I’ve tried.

23. Gravatar Icon 23 Bria Posted October 29th, 2008 - 03:22

Thanks again for sharing your work, NextGen Gallery is so powerful and convenient !!

There’s just one new feature I’d love to see in the next release ; when including several galleries in one post, being able to launch the slideshow for only the selected gallery. The current version will launch all galleries included in the post :(

24. Gravatar Icon 24 MAXiDROME Posted October 29th, 2008 - 20:01

Do you plan to make a subgalleries? I like your gallery, but subgalleries needed much!!! :-)

25. Gravatar Icon 25 Samuel Diamond Posted October 29th, 2008 - 22:44

I was wondering if it is at possible that I could “link” each picture? Like if I was to have a picture of the sea, and it could link to a website about the sea.

Just an idea from another flash app that sucked. But it was one thing that was cool

26. Gravatar Icon 26 bubunix Posted October 31st, 2008 - 10:52

hi
    where can i modify to see more then 6 picture on the line?
    thnx

27. Gravatar Icon 27 beachbum Posted November 1st, 2008 - 15:07

2.7 is out today,
    ive been using the beta the past few weeks and your plugin was still ok, now that they actually released it your plugin breaks the html view of the edit screen.

please hurry.

tanx,

28. Gravatar Icon 28 alex.rabe Posted November 2nd, 2008 - 00:11

@beachbum
    Wp.27 Beta 1 ist out ! You can get my current dev here http://code.google.com/p/nextgen-gallery/source/list

29. Gravatar Icon 29 Lise Posted November 2nd, 2008 - 00:12

Hello,

I installed the WP beta version 2.7. on my local machine. If you wish, I can test NGG 1.0 and update the French translation.

30. Gravatar Icon 30 alex.rabe Posted November 2nd, 2008 - 10:23

Thanks Lise,

during the next week I will release the first beta of NGG V1.0

31. Gravatar Icon 31 teonsight Posted November 3rd, 2008 - 12:19

first of all thank you very much for the plugin!

Do you think the requests in this post http://wordpress.org/support/topic/187794?replies=7 (or any other way to assign a gallery to posts in sidebars) will be working in the v1.0?

32. Gravatar Icon 32 jeebsion Posted November 3rd, 2008 - 19:59

hopefully alex, with the new version, we can now display the EXIF/metadate in the caption area of the displayed image *crossing fingers* :-)

33. Gravatar Icon 33 MCorder Posted November 3rd, 2008 - 22:52

Great Product! Can’t wait to see it for 2.7…any updates…:-)

MJCorder.com
    KodiakWX.com

34. Gravatar Icon 34 medraka Posted November 4th, 2008 - 19:55

I’m looking forward for NextGen Gallery 1.0 !!!

35. Gravatar Icon 35 Espen Posted November 7th, 2008 - 20:00

Will you support comments for individual images?
    Its a very needed function, weird that no-one have mentioned it yet.

36. Gravatar Icon 36 TickleTantrum Posted November 27th, 2008 - 01:35

Very good news indeed … Is it going to be WPMU Compatible?

37. Gravatar Icon 37 Remi Turcotte Posted December 6th, 2008 - 19:16

Great plugin Alex,

Not much to be done in order to compete with flickr, picasa and menalto.

One major thing is required from a SEO perspective : the possibility to have / crawl 1 image per post.

The number of pages indexed on a website is a determinant factor from an authority standpoint.

38. Gravatar Icon 38 Frank Posted January 14th, 2009 - 21:16

Hey Remi,

I was wondering if you figured out the solution to have only one image crawled per post?

Regardless though thanks Alex for this! It’s been great thus far.

39. Gravatar Icon 39 matt Posted March 22nd, 2009 - 22:16

I have V. 1.2.1. On WP 2.7.1.

The title of my nextgen widget DOESNOT match the title of my widgets. How can I fix this?

40. Gravatar Icon 40 matt Posted March 25th, 2009 - 02:58

How do I get “view full image” or whatever on the overlay? i have the newest version.

41. Gravatar Icon 41 Meta Posted March 28th, 2009 - 17:43

Thx for your plugins

42. Gravatar Icon 42 Hans-Göran Puke Posted June 11th, 2009 - 16:51

Tried to install nextgen gallery on WP 2.8.
    Got NextGEN Gallery : Tables could not created, please check your database settings.

Any idea on how to get around this?

43. Gravatar Icon 43 widi Posted July 9th, 2011 - 02:25

I keep still use old vertion and not upgrade my wordpress

Who's linking?

1. 1 NextGEN Gallery 1.0 will only be compatible with WordPress 2.7! | Blog Design Studio Pingback on Oct 28th, 2008
    "[...] the creator of the best image gallery plugin for WordPress i.e. NextGEN Gallery has decided that he’ll not make …"
  2. 2 dashboard · Betabox - now on WordPress 2.7 Beta 1 Pingback on Nov 2nd, 2008
    "[...] have to do a lot of scrolling if you want to access for example cformsII settings. The settings for …"