WordPress 3.0 Memory Requirements: 256 MB

05Jul10

In the last weeks after the release of WordPress 3.0 I got again a lot of failure reports in the forums like :

I am getting the following error on a fresh install. Any idea why?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 58368 bytes) in /vservers/mysite/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/widgets/widgets.php on line 308

The reason is the increased memory needs for WordPress itself, a developer noticed that they raised the requirement up to 256MB ! Although this value is currently absolute unrealistic for a shared hosting, it means you need to increase your memory limit. I tested my plugin here with 48MB and 64MB limits and it works fine… If you can use the plugin but you are not longer able to create thumbnails, please remind my blog post two years ago, it’s the same issue…

14 Responses to “WordPress 3.0 Memory Requirements: 256 MB”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 Financial Bondage Posted July 5th, 2010 - 15:01

I upgraded to wordpress 3.0 and saw my RAM settings change from 50MB to 256MB. And I could find no way to set it back to what I wanted. Since our server only has 384mb of RAM, allocating 256mb to wordpress was not something we could do, so I downgraded back to 2.9.2. I advise other to pass on wordpress 3.0. It’s a major RAM hog.

2. Gravatar Icon 2 alex.rabe Posted July 5th, 2010 - 20:28

Look into ‘wp-admin/admin.php’, line 96 and delete it, this code “try” to increase the limit. It doesn’t mean that WordPress require 256 MB

3. Gravatar Icon 3 Stefan Posted July 5th, 2010 - 23:33

Had the same problem too, and it is right: 256MB is absolutely crazy. I get 56, and this is fine already. Lot of the hosters provide less.

I figured a solution for me. THE ONLY SOLUTION THAT WORKED: I downgraded the php-Version i am using (my provider lets me choose between a lot of versions). I had the problem with all Versions higher than 5.x.
    So i downgraded do 4.4 again and everything is fine. Even batch-upload with almost 200 images in the .zip file is no problem at all!

I did not discover any problems yet, despite the message nextgen gallery gives in the dashboard about using 5.2.x or higher.

4. Gravatar Icon 4 Suneel Posted July 10th, 2010 - 16:28

But, why was this not officially declared to the public?

I suppose this requirement would scare most of the bloggers on shared hosting.

But, my blogs are running fine on DreamHost shared hosting even though I am working on WordPress 3.0

5. Gravatar Icon 5 Tzaddi Posted July 13th, 2010 - 23:19

Commenting out line 96 didn’t fix the error for me. But, when I changed the WordTube playlist to use .flv files that we have in our uploads vs pulling the videos from YouTube, they play just fine. Prior to that I got “Error #2036″ after I clicked play.

6. Gravatar Icon 6 Geoff Posted July 16th, 2010 - 19:50

still running into this issue. commenting out that line had no effect for me either. i mostly use the plugin to display galleries inside of posts on my site. really love the plugin, hopefully we can get a solution to this w/o having to revert to an older wordpress.

7. Gravatar Icon 7 Michael Andersen Posted July 16th, 2010 - 21:15

Could you take a look at this, please: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/412619?replies=11#post-1602143

Best regards
    Michael, DK.

8. Gravatar Icon 8 Tony Posted July 21st, 2010 - 07:29

And I thought 128 mb was a lot of memory! Is there anything wrong with setting the memory limit too high?

9. Gravatar Icon 9 sebastien Posted July 21st, 2010 - 11:29

Alex, Sorry, but i have a question about wp3 and nextgengallery, and i find no response.
    With wp3.0, i want that all my galleries are accessible from all my sites (sites of my network), but actually when a gallery is accessible from site1.mynetwork.com this gallery is not accessible from site2.mynetwork.com.
    What can i do to access from every site at all my galleries ?

10. Gravatar Icon 10 HG Posted July 22nd, 2010 - 00:39

Get major issues with nextgen gallery.

otherwise ok, I hope most of you edited your php.ini file.

11. Gravatar Icon 11 Raven Posted August 6th, 2010 - 19:13

Well, i’m already with 128M and i think it’s a lot of memory too

12. Gravatar Icon 12 Rajeev Jha Posted December 1st, 2011 - 07:42

I believe this is pretty sneaky from wordpress team to change php.ini settings inside an application. I did a 3.2.1 install and saw my 256MB slice thrash – Just plain install (w/o plugins) and one post. I tried changing the MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT to 32MB/48MB but that also did not work. swap continued unabated.

I switched back to 2.9.2 and everything is running happy on same 256MB slice. I can understand that loading more features may require more RAM but base install memory requirements should not change. Also, the fact that PHP settings are being tampered with should be highlighted in bold red on install.

Who's linking?

1. 1 Nextgen gallery memory problem || Homepage von Stefan Hofbauer Pingback on Jul 6th, 2010
    "[...] (http://alexrabe.de/2010/07/05/wordpress-3-0-memory-requirements-256-mb/) [...] "
  2. 2 256 MB Memory Requirement For WordPress 3.0? | Paul O'Flaherty Pingback on Jul 12th, 2010
    "[...] seen reports that the new recommended memory requirement for running WordPress 3.0 is now 256 MB, yet there is no mention …"