Photocrati continue the NextGEN Gallery development

19Jun12

I’m very proud and happy to announce that Photocrati, the biggest supporter of my Plugin NextGEN Gallery continue the further development. The people behind Photocrati themes support me in my work already a couple of years and finally we find some way how we can continue the success of this plugin.

NextGEN Gallery is now more than 4 years old and with more than 5 million downloads the number one of all gallery addons for WordPress. WordPress is grown in the same time to the biggest blogging platform and the speed of development increased over the time. Unfortunately the day has still 24 hours and I’m just coding in my free time.

With Photocrati in the background I hope this plugin can increase in functionality and features much faster than I can do. I’m very happy that my “baby” find it’s feet now…

Let me thank to more than 1000 people who supported and donated to my work, without you this plugin would not be there. Thank you very much !

38 Responses to “Photocrati continue the NextGEN Gallery development”

1. Gravatar Icon 1 Joerg Posted June 20th, 2012 - 06:31

Thank you Alex for a superb plugin and your work you have made available through out the time developing your gallery! Thanks!

2. Gravatar Icon 2 jeannine Posted June 21st, 2012 - 05:14

We’ll miss you Alex! You’ve built the single coolest plugin for WordPress–the first one I install on every site I build.

3. Gravatar Icon 3 WPSPY Posted June 21st, 2012 - 08:22

Thanks so much for your excellent plugin and hope it will continue to improve and remain free.

4. Gravatar Icon 4 Kate Danzer Posted June 22nd, 2012 - 22:54

Thanks, Alex. Kate from Photocrati here.

We love the plugin and we love working with you.

@WPSPY, yes, the regular NextGEN plugin will always be free. We are very committed to keeping it free. Here’s a quote from our founder, Erick Danzer — “We are committed to continuing the development of NextGEN Gallery as a free GPL plugin, and we’re dedicated to maintaining NextGEN as the most popular gallery plugin for WordPress…”

We do plan to release a premium PRO version soon as well. But regular NextGEN will be free. You can check out our blog and the NextGEN page for more info:

Cheers,
    Kate

5. Gravatar Icon 5 Paul sumberg Posted June 23rd, 2012 - 12:40

Thank you Alex for all your hard work and outstanding plugin. Good luck and bsst wishes as you move on.

6. Gravatar Icon 6 salama Posted June 27th, 2012 - 08:30

Alex thanks for everything, and Greetings.

7. Gravatar Icon 7 Bjorn Posted June 27th, 2012 - 18:36

When will nextGen Gallery be compatible with SFC?

8. Gravatar Icon 8 Sascha Posted July 2nd, 2012 - 13:38

thank you so much ! Hope the price was fine ?! :-)

@Photocrati: I would LOVE to see the NExtGenGallery also coming up as DRUPAL module !!!!

Best wishes
    Sascha

9. Gravatar Icon 9 Leista Burnett Posted July 2nd, 2012 - 15:56

how can I set the links to the slider so when the image is clicked it goes to the page. Now there is a caption area that show up and then you have to click on the link in the caption. I want the caption to go away and the image is the link

10. Gravatar Icon 10 Brad Barber Posted July 3rd, 2012 - 02:18

Thanks man, you’ve done well and I’ve reaped the fruits of your labor. Again, thanks!

11. Gravatar Icon 11 xseon Posted July 5th, 2012 - 09:01

Great news for this great plugin! I’m happy for you and what a coincidence – I was just thinking about your efforts and dedication to NextGen and how greatfull I am I can use it. Thank you Alex!

12. Gravatar Icon 12 Adam W. Warner Posted July 5th, 2012 - 20:00

Great news, and you and Photocrati have just made 5 million users very happy:)

13. Gravatar Icon 13 Fader27 Posted July 6th, 2012 - 19:09

Good news!

I very much hope that the last wishes will be realized that I’ve been waiting for: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-nextgen-gallery-wishes-for-next-nextgen-versions-2011

14. Gravatar Icon 14 webaware Posted July 8th, 2012 - 00:50

Congratulations, Alex. You’ve done a marvellous job with NextGEN Gallery, and apparently someone with deep pockets agrees! So, what’s next, eh? :)

15. Gravatar Icon 15 Stavros Kourtidis Posted July 8th, 2012 - 16:25

I am Glad to hear u back!!!

Anyway, i am using youre Plugin over more than a year now. It is a great Plaugin, just the Sitemap Issue does makes me get of mind.

Dont thing my englich is good enougth, to understand what is this about. What others wirt in Blogs and forums.

The truth is, i dont know aht do do, to get my images in the google index.
    Sence Pinguin i am from top 6 to 80. I am sure that if my Pictures was indexed, i dont came down.

I am not a developer, i am not aware of coding.

Can someone tell me pleace, how i can index the Pictures in NGG???

Pleace Notified me when there is a comment to solve this !!!

16. Gravatar Icon 16 Claire Bahn Posted July 8th, 2012 - 21:25

Hello Alex,
    We really love your photo Gallery. can’t wait to dive deeper.
    Not sure where to submit a bug?? Maybe others have seen this?

On FF for MAC version 13.0.1 on OS 10.7.4 we get the following error message when trying to use the Add Images functionality:

ERROR: Claire_Bahn_120_final.jpg :
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function wpcf7_add_tag_generator() in /home/claireny/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/modules/text.php on line 152

Has anyone else see this error? How can we resolve it?

Best ,
    Claire

17. Gravatar Icon 17 Torstein Posted July 9th, 2012 - 19:31

I’m rebuilding my website and løove the many features of NexGen gallery, but I do find it has short commings.
    Every picture I want to include in more than one gallery has to be duplicated.
    A more elegant solution (data structure?) would have allowed a picture to belong to several galleries. But I guess that would have complicated matters and made an extra database.

Any way, thansk a lot for a great plugin.

18. Gravatar Icon 18 Niels Posted July 11th, 2012 - 11:50

Ik get errors when uploading tot the server sinds WP 3.4.1

screen error: [http error]
    Log error:
    [Wed Jul 11 11:41:53 2012] [warn] [client 84.107.155.49] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function wpcf7_add_tag_generator() in /var/www/clients/client9/web58/web/content/plugins/contact-form-7/modules/text.php on line 152, referer: http://www.kachelsstedebroec.nl/wp-admin/admin.php?page=nggallery-add-gallery

Operating System : Linux (32 Bit)
    Server : Apache/2.2.16 (Debian)
    Memory usage : 33.73 MByte
    MYSQL Version : 5.1.63-0+squeeze1
    SQL Mode : Not set
    PHP Version : 5.3.3-7+squeeze13

Wpuild be nice to know how to make this plugin work

19. Gravatar Icon 19 Teus Posted July 18th, 2012 - 20:23

Alex,

Thank you for this great plugin! Thank you for the countless hours you have put in.

@Photocrati
    I surely hope this plugin will remain free, because I’m now already scared by the following sentence, “The regular nextgen gallery plugin will remain free”

20. Gravatar Icon 20 Flick Posted July 19th, 2012 - 20:55

I wanted to start off by saying a big thank you for your amazing work to date. I first came across your plugins via WP-Table – the first WP plugin that actually made creating tables on WordPress *easy* for the average user.

It was surprising that it had not been done before, but the approach you took was brilliant, even though you said at the time that you were still learning how to code, as it now forms the basis of WP-Table Reloaded, when Tobias took it over.

You then surpassed yourself even more through the development of NextGEN. I can only think of a handful of developers that include (just off the top of my head) yourself, Lester-chan, Scribu and several others who tirelessly worked to provide support and bring in new features for their own plugins whilst truly keeping their work free through donations.

I hope that NextGEN (and your other work) has been one of the reasons that has enabled you to hopefully go on to bigger and better things that you wanted to do.

Thank you again and with best wishes for the future
    Flick

21. Gravatar Icon 21 Joanne Posted August 8th, 2012 - 18:50

I am so thankful for all the work you put into NextGen Gallery. I enjoy using it for my own web design portfolio and personal use. Best wishes to you and the future of NextGen Gallery!

22. Gravatar Icon 22 Jeff Posted August 28th, 2012 - 02:24

Am wondering if you could diagnose this problem for me – my image thumbnails are not sizing properly. They are set to be square – and they are showing up as portrait. Here is what the preview is showing:

I have the thumb size set at 280X280 and image size at 400X400.

Also – once a thumb is clicked – there is no way to get back to the gallery page – is this correct?

Thanks,

Jeff

23. Gravatar Icon 23 Jakki Posted September 4th, 2012 - 16:25

Hey Alex :) Just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to you for making this plugin…I have used it the past four years and it has been absolutely phenomenal.

You rock!!!

24. Gravatar Icon 24 Toby Wallis Posted September 20th, 2012 - 18:33

Hi. I’ve had a query from a client about including NextGEN photos in search results. At the moment you see the gallery if you enter the gallery name, but not if you enter a photo title. They’re a Naturalist Society and would like to be able to enter, say, “Brown Hare” and see a photo from the Gallery which has Brown Hare as its title.

Is this possible now? Or likely to be in future?

Many thanks

===Toby===

P.S. I’ve used NextGEN several times and my clients are all very happy. Thanks for a splendid plug-in!

25. Gravatar Icon 25 tomas Posted September 27th, 2012 - 18:08

NextGEN is best plugin for WP. I use it every day. Thx

Tomas

26. Gravatar Icon 26 Matt Slocum Posted October 12th, 2012 - 03:11

I found a security hole in NextGen Gallery that allows anyone to access all unfiltered images in the gallery. They don’t have any contact form or email on their site that I can find. They only have links to the WP support forums. I don’t want to publicly post the bug. I left a comment on one of their blog posts, but they aren’t emailing me back.

Do you know who I can contact about the bug?

Thanks,
    Matt

27. Gravatar Icon 27 Deepak Posted November 4th, 2012 - 08:29

Hey..I just need our help with the next gen monoslideshow plugin..Ever Since I updated WordPress to 3.3.2 the plugin has stopped working. Could you please help out in giving a solution to this.. Sorry for troubling you..

Regards.
    Deepak

28. Gravatar Icon 28 Cecily Posted November 4th, 2012 - 23:59

Great news. I am loving this plugin, but the support team could use improvement. None of my errors are ever responded to. Can you recomend a nextgen community that are willing help newbies like myself?

Cecily

29. Gravatar Icon 29 Barrie Posted November 18th, 2012 - 10:20

Having same problem with support. Several problems reported but nothing coming back from Photocrati.

30. Gravatar Icon 30 tamuda Posted December 16th, 2012 - 19:37

hi Alex
    can you help my to modify the playlist Add wordtube is compatible with the new version of WordPress

31. Gravatar Icon 31 Giuliano Posted April 3rd, 2013 - 21:43

Sigh…Photocrati does not update your wonderful creation very much… I’m sure you got bigger projects to follow, but I’m quite disappointed you left it.

Thanks for your wonderful creation

32. Gravatar Icon 32 tdiaz Posted August 11th, 2013 - 17:08

Thank You for the Plugin ..

Unfortunately, all Photocrati has done is screw it up, in the quest for monetization.

In order to get those who wouldn’t buy their whole photo theme environment, they took over NGG, and have succeeded in making it just as repulsively complex while totally missing the mark.

Their public beta phase should be the ultimate example of “We Just Don’t Get It”.

33. Gravatar Icon 33 Matthias Posted August 26th, 2013 - 22:21

Bitte, BITTE übernimm wieder die Entwicklung! Seitdem Photocrati das übernommen hat ist das eine einzige Katastrophe, nichts funktioniert mehr und jedes Update bringt neuen Mist mit sich. Aber Hauptsache, es gibt jetzt eine kostenpflichtige Pro Version. Dass diejenigen, die mit NGG professionelle Webseiten betreiben (oder es zumindest versuchen) gerade richtig aufgeschmissen sind, interessiert niemanden…

Danke für die Zeit und Energie die du in das Projekt gesteckt hast, schade, dass deine Nachfolger es so versauen.

34. Gravatar Icon 34 Natacha Posted August 27th, 2013 - 06:20

You made the most wonderful plugin with nextgen.

- Photocrati have ruined the plugin forever – it is broken for everyone. Have a look at the nextgen support forums to see.
    Such a shame on what was such a wonderful plugin.

We are keeping it stuck on version 1.9.13 – we can never upgrade due to all the crazy problems with it now.

We miss you Alex!

35. Gravatar Icon 35 Paul R Posted August 31st, 2013 - 01:34

Have to agree with Natacha.
    Although I’m new to NextGen I can see what all your former supporters are talking about.
    Is there any possibility to fork this at 1.4 so we can bring this back to the community?

36. Gravatar Icon 36 Jay Versluis Posted September 4th, 2013 - 00:21

@Paul R
    Yes there is, all previously released versions are still available on WordPress.org (thank god). Head over here:

You can download every past version as a ZIP.

@Alex
    Thank you so much for this awesome plugin! You are one of my many WordPress heroes – I have the greatest respect for your plugin, it’ll always be one of my favourites. Just think, one in every 10 WordPress installation has NextGen Gallery on it.

WOW! All the best ;-)

37. Gravatar Icon 37 Smat Placid Posted September 12th, 2013 - 01:31

DE:
    Alex, wir danken Dir alle. Du siehst selber was in der Community gerade passiert. Ich starte hiermit einen Aufruf an alle die das Plugin so lange und so oft genutzt haben und nun sehen: es wird nicht mehr “ordentlich” weiterentwickelt.
    Wir sollten alle etwas an Alex spenden und ihm weiterhin schreiben – vielleicht kriegen wir ihn (und unser tolles plugin) wieder. Ich spende jetzt, weil wir so oft etwas kaufen müssen was nicht halb so gut ist.

Danke Dir Alex!

EN:
    Alex, we thank you all. You see yourself what’s happening in the community. I hereby start a call to all who have used the plugin so long and so often, and now see that it is not “properly” evolved.
    We should all donate something to Alex and continue to write to him – maybe we’ll get him (and our great plugin) back. I will donate now, because we so often have to buy something which is not as half as good.

Thank you Alex!

38. Gravatar Icon 38 boston business school Posted March 18th, 2014 - 08:27

Hey Alex. I also like to say a late thank you to you for your charming and inspiring work. I think you don’t find so much developers today that are willing to sacrifice all of their free time for coding. That is why I think that we still owe you a big thank you regarding the work that you’ve done during that years. Now wordpress has become even more important to the web community and plug-ins like yours are making the www more efficient for so many people each day.